Official Rules of Participation
Mosaic Community Challenge: Clinical Strain Detection ("Strains #2")
Purpose of Mosaic Community Strains #2 Challenge.
The Strains #2 Challenge is a collaborative, community effort to advance
accurate strain-level profiling and improve the characterization of
microbiome samples using computational methods.
By entering the Strains #2 Challenge, Participants agree to abide by and be bound by the Official Rules of Participation for the Mosaic Community Strains #2 Challenge (“Official Rules”) and the decisions of the Sponsor.
Participants who entered the Strains #2 Challenge under the Official Rules published prior to 30th of April 2018 must opt in either online or by email to these Official Rules as published on 30th of April 2018 as described below under “Eligibility,” in order to be eligible to compete for a Prize (as described below).
- How to Enter No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win the Strains #2 Challenge. To enter, Participants must create a free Mosaic account (https://platform.mosaicbiome.com/register), join the challenge (https://platform.mosaicbiome.com/challenges/6), download and analyze the Challenge datasets, and submit the results of their analysis. Detailed instructions on how to download and analyze the datasets and submit results are available at the Instructions page, which is hereby incorporated by reference in these Official Rules.
Eligibility. The pool of participants is drawn from a talented pool of world-wide bioinformaticians and is open to residents of the United States and worldwide, except if you are a resident of Crimea, Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, Sudan, or are subject to U.S. export controls or sanctions, then you may not enter the Competition. Other local rules and regulations may apply to you, so please check your local laws to ensure that you are eligible to participate in skills-based competitions. Each eligible person who accepts these Official Rules shall be a “Participant”. Contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- Rank Recognition: Any Participant may submit analyses of Challenge datasets for evaluation and ranking as described on the Instructions page. Results, including submission rankings will be made available to all Participants within a reasonable time period following the conclusion of the contest and will be announced in Summer 2018.
Prize Eligibility: Any Participant that wishes to compete for a Prize (as described below) must meet the additional Prize Eligibility Criteria set forth below. Participants meeting the Prize Eligibility Criteria are referred to in these Official Rules as “Prize-Eligible Participants.” The Prize Eligibility Criteria are as follows:
- The Participant must agree to these Official Rules as published on 30th of April 2018. A Participant who entered the Strains #2 Challenge under the Official Rules published prior to 30th of April 2018 and who wishes to compete for a Prize may opt in to these Official Rules by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org containing (a) the Participant’s Submission Name(s) and Submission ID(s), and (b) the following statement: “I hereby accept and agree to the Strains #2 Challenge Official Rules, as published on 30th of April 2018.”
- Participants who are individuals must be at least 18 years old at the time of entry. Employees of Sponsor or JHMI, family members or persons living in the same households of such employees, and individuals involved in the design or implementation of the Strains #2 Challenge are not eligible to receive any Prize.
- Any individual who completes a submission on behalf of a legal entity Participant represents and warrants that such individual has the power and authority to complete such submission and agree to these Official Rules on behalf of such legal entity. Any entity that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with Sponsor or JHMI is not eligible to receive any Prize.
- Participants may make anonymous submissions; however, if a Participant’s submission is identified as a potential winner, the Participant must agree to be publicly identified in order to be awarded any Prize.
A total of three Prizes will be awarded:
- One Grand Prize of $10,000 will be awarded to the highest-ranked Prize-Eligible Participant.
- One Runner-Up Prize of $5,000 will be awarded to the second-highest-ranked Prize-Eligible Participant.
- One Second Runner-Up Prize of $2,000 will be awarded to the third-highest-ranked Prize-Eligible Participant.
Rankings will be determined as set forth below under “Contest Judging Criteria.”
The value of all prizes to be awarded totals $17,000. No prize transfer, assignment, or substitution by winner(s) is permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded.
Winner(s) will be solely responsible for any and all local, state, and federal taxes, as well as any license and registration or other fees incurred by participation in the Strains #2 Challenge, including but not limited to transportation costs, gratuities and other items of an incidental nature. Sponsor will report any individual winnings over $600 (in cash or fair market value of goods or services) in a one-year period to the Internal Revenue Service. Winner(s) will receive a Form 1099 from Sponsor if Sponsor reports any winnings to the Internal Revenue Service.
5. Contest Judging Criteria.
Each Participant’s submission(s) analyzing the Challenge dataset will be evaluated and ranked as described on the Instructions page, using the Adjusted Rand Index metric. To be considered for a Prize, a submission must achieve a minimum score of 80% on each of the following metrics: Precision, Recall, and F1-Score. Winners will be selected based on each submission’s ranking among all submissions entered by Prize-Eligible Participants. In the event that more than one submission has exactly the same Adjusted Rand Index, then the tied submissions will be ranked in the order in which such tied submissions were received by Sponsor, with the earliest such submission earning the highest rank. Sponsor’s determination of the order in which submissions are received is final and binding.
The method used to produce a submission must be reproducible and fully computational. Potential winners must, upon Sponsor’s request, demonstrate or share the algorithm used in their analysis so that results may be reproduced. With respect to non-deterministic algorithms, the mean Adjusted Rand Index of 10 executions may not deviate more than 0.05 units from Participant’s potentially winning submission.
To be valid, all submissions must be received by the Challenge Completion Date as defined in Section 8 below. All decisions of Sponsor concerning all matters related to the Strains #2 Challenge are final. Winner(s) will be notified by e-mail at the e-mail address provided by Participant with the applicable submission. Winner(s) must meet all eligibility requirements including the execution and delivery of all necessary releases. If any attempted notification is not successful within ten (10) days, the Prize will be forfeited and Sponsor reserves the right to select an alternate winner from among the remaining Prize-Eligible submissions, in accordance with the judging criteria set out in these Official Rules.
Conditions and Restrictions Apply.
Winner(s) must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. Winner(s) are subject to verification by Sponsor, whose decisions are final and binding in all matters related to the Strains #2 Challenge. A Participant is not a winner of any Prize unless and until Participant’s eligibility (including status as a Prize-Eligible Participant) has been verified and Participant has been notified that verification is complete. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the Strains #2 Challenge without awarding the Prizes if no eligible winner(s) or alternate winner(s) claim the Prizes within the required time period.
Winner(s) will be required to make available to the public, subject to reasonable licensing terms if Winner so chooses, the code or method used to generate their winning submission, either by making the tool open (i.e. the underlying code and assets are visible) or by making the tool available for use on a closed basis (i.e. users can run it, but cannot access the code or assets).
Winner(s) will be required to execute and return to Sponsor a liability release and affidavit of eligibility (except where prohibited) within ten (10) days of notice of winning. In the event that a winner fails to execute and return a liability release and affidavit of eligibility (except where prohibited) within ten (10) days of notice of winning, their prize may be forfeited, and Sponsor may select an alternate winner from among the remaining Prize-Eligible entries in accordance with the judging criteria set out in these Official Rules.
- Sponsor. The Strains #2 Challenge is sponsored, supervised and governed by DNAnexus. Participant acknowledges and agrees that although the Janssen Human Microbiome Institute (“JHMI”) has provided expert guidance and financial support to DNAnexus in connection with the Strains #2 Challenge, DNAnexus is solely responsible and accountable for the overall administration and management of the Strains #2 Challenge and the maintenance and operation of the Mosaic Platform.
- Term. The Strains #2 Challenge shall begin on February 12, 2018 (“Commencement Time”) and shall end on August 3, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. GMT (“Completion Date”). DNAnexus may, in its sole discretion, extend the Completion Date.
- Sponsor’s Reservation of Rights.These Official Rules are subject to modification by Sponsor. In the event of a dispute, all decisions made by Sponsor are final and binding. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify from the Strains #2 Challenge, and ban from any future challenges, any person it believes to have intentionally violated these Official Rules, or to be acting in an inappropriate or disruptive manner, or to have tampered with any element of the Strains #2 Challenge without notice to the disqualified or banned person. Sponsor further reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, or modify this Contest if, for any reason, the Strains #2 Challenge is not capable of completion as planned, including due to force majeure or non-authorized human intervention that compromises or affects the administration, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Strains #2 Challenge.
- Comments.For questions or concerns, email email@example.com
Additional Rules and Guidelines.
Participant Guidelines. Participant agrees to the following:
- Use the resources provided for the purpose of the Strains #2 Challenge only.
- Make an effort to submit comments and feedback on the community forum.
- Do not use the option to submit under a different name so that you can attribute your work to a team of collaborators to misrepresent who you are to other users or teams.
- Do not intentionally create low scoring submissions.
- Submit only results of analyses.
- Only a maximum of ten submissions will be accepted per Participant, however, if Participant makes more than ten submissions, then only the last ten will be considered eligible for prize consideration.
- Do not try to improve your scores by gaming or hacking the evaluation and scoring process.
- Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and to remove submissions of any person it believes to have intentionally violated the Official Rules or were not otherwise submitted in good faith.
Privacy and Security.
- DNAnexus will not share your data or apps without your explicit written permission.
- Although the option to submit results anonymously is provided, we encourage participants to make open/known submissions given the community spirit of the Strains #2 Challenge.
- At the end of the Strains #2 Challenge, all Strains #2 Sponsored Workspaces will cease incurring new charges, i.e. new data cannot be uploaded and executions cannot be launched within the Workspace.
- We may delete data in Strains #2 Challenge Workspaces 6 months after the conclusion of the Strains #2 Challenge.
- Apps that are shared through a Strains #2 Challenge submission may be made public after review by the Mosaic team.
- Participant Guidelines. Participant agrees to the following:
- Ownership of the submitted dataset shall remain with the Participant.
- Participant grants to DNAnexus, JHMI and their respective affiliates a non-exclusive, irrevocable, perpetual, fully paid and royalty-free worldwide right and license, including the right to sublicense, to use, publish and otherwise exploit any submitted dataset for any and all research purposes. Participant shall have no interest, economic or otherwise, in any invention, discovery, or product that arises from the use of a submitted dataset by DNAnexus, JHMI, their respective affiliate, or any other party.
- Participants can choose different licensing models to their apps to control how and who they want to share their apps with.
- Participant understand that data submitted may be made public.
- We would like to know who is interested in the Strains #2 Challenge and how we can help them participate in it, so participants agree not to share the datasets with non- participants. Anyone can register and get the data from the Mosaic Platform for free.
- You agree and acknowledge that DNAnexus, JHMI, and their respective affiliates may publish the raw data and any findings from the analysis of data and metadata related to the Strains #2 Challenge without the written consent of Participant. For clarity, Participant may publish its datasets and analysis of the data.
- Release of Sponsor. PARTICIPANT HEREBY UNCONDITIONALLY AND FOREVER RELEASES AND DISCHARGES SPONSOR, JHMI, AND EACH OF THEIR AFFILIATES AND THEIR OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES, SUCCESSORS AND ASSIGNS (COLLECTIVELY “RELEASED PARTIES”), FROM ALL CLAIMS BASED ON PARTICIPANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE STRAINS #2 CHALLENGE, AND ANY AND ALL RELATED JUDGMENTS, COSTS, DAMAGES, LOSSES, EXPENSES AND LIABILITIES WHETHER ARISING UNDER A THEORY OF CONTRACT, WARRANTY, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR ANY OTHER THEORY) (COLLECTIVELY “RELEASED CLAIMS”). I, ON BEHALF OF MYSELF AND MY EMPLOYER (IF APPLICABLE), UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THIS RELEASE WILL PREVENT ME/IT AND OUR SUCCESSORS FROM BRINGING A LAWSUIT, CLAIM OR OTHER ACTION AGAINST ANY RELEASED PARTY AND FROM RECOVERING ANY MONEY DAMAGES OR OTHER LEGAL RELIEF FROM ANY RELEASED PARTY IN CONNECTION WITH ANY OF THE RELEASED CLAIMS.
- Governing Law. This Agreement will be construed in accordance with and governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of laws principles and will not be governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods, the application of which is hereby expressly excluded. The exclusive venue for any suit, action or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Agreement will be a state or federal court located in Santa Clara County, California. The parties hereby consent to personal jurisdiction and venue in such courts for such purpose.
- Winners List. Winners will be announced at the conclusion of the contest after the results have been reviewed, analyzed and ranked. The list of winners will be posted online and will be available at https://platform.mosaicbiome.com/challenges/6 for at least 12 months after the announcement of the winners.